News Corp. Eyes Stake in Sports Channel YES Network
Deputy COO James Murdoch sits on the board of YES shareholder Yankees Global Enterprises.
Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. is finalizing a deal to acquire a stake in the YES Network sports channel, a source confirmed a report by the New York Times.
The investment in the New York-based regional cable network, which airs New York Yankees baseball and Nets basketball games, among other regional sports, would further strengthen News Corp.'s sports network portfolio.
Murdoch’s son and News Corp. deputy COO James Murdoch sits on the board of the Yankees' holding company, Yankees Global Enterprises. Since moving from London to the conglomerate's headquarters in New York, he has particularly focused on the company's TV businesses.
A deal, financial and other details of which weren't immediately clear, could be announced as early as the end of this week.
However, the Yankees' holding company is expected to maintain its 34 percent stake in YES, meaning News Corp. would buy its stake from some of the network company's financial investors. They include Goldman Sachs and Providence Equity Partners and have in the past been rumored to be willing to cash out for the right price.
News Corp. representatives weren't available for comment.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!