Prosecutors to Disclose Hundreds of New Names of News Corp. Phone Hacking Victims (Report)
Attention is likely to focus on which celebrities will join a list of already known hacking targets, including Jude Law, Paul McCartney, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.
LONDON - Prosecutors in the phone hacking scandal that has engulfed Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. for the past year are preparing to unveil names of up to 600 victims of hacking, including those of more celebrities, the Independent reported on Wednesday.
A list of names, including those of film, TV and music stars, could be disclosed in the coming weeks, it said. People who don't want to be publicly involved in the case will be able to request that their names be kept secret though, according to the report.
Among the famous people whose names have emerged over the past year in connection with the phone hacking scandal at the now-shuttered News of the World tabloid are the likes of Jude Law, Paul McCartney, Sienna Miller, as well as Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.
With about 200 victims known so far, the Independent said police are starting to contact about 400 additional victims to tell them that their cases are part of charges against seven former News Of The World employees who face a court hearing at the end of September. They are charged with a conspiracy to intercept voice mails.
Overall, up to 600 victims' names could be revealed, many for the first time. The Independent said this will mark the single biggest announcement of alleged targets of hacking to-date.
The former News Corp. employees include Rebekah Brooks, the former CEO of News Corp.'s U.K. newspaper unit, and Andy Coulson, a former News of the World editor who later served as Prime Minister David Cameron’s communications advisor.
Once victims are told, lawyers are expected to release the expanded list of hacking victims, the Independent said.
Email: [email protected]