News Corp. to Shut Down iPad Newspaper 'The Daily'
Rupert Murdoch's conglomerate will cease standalone publication of the tablet paper in mid-December, but its New York Post will take over its technology and some staff.
News Corp. said Monday that it its shutting down iPad newspaper The Daily as a standalone product.
"As part of a digital restructuring initiative, the company will cease standalone publication of The Daily iPad app on December 15…though the brand will live on in other channels," it said without providing further details.
Jesse Angelo, the founding editor-in-chief of The Daily and long-time executive editor of The New York Post, will assume the role of publisher of The New York Post. Technology and other assets from The Daily, including some staff, will be folded into the Post, News Corp. said.
"From its launch, The Daily was a bold experiment in digital publishing and an amazing vehicle for innovation," News Corp. chairman and CEO Rupert Murdoch said. "Unfortunately, our experience was that we could not find a large enough audience quickly enough to convince us the business model was sustainable in the long-term. Therefore we will take the very best of what we have learned at The Daily and apply it to all our properties."
He added: "Under the editorial leadership of editor-in-chief Col Allan and the business and digital leadership of Jesse, I know The New York Post will continue to grow and become stronger on the web, on mobile, and not least, the paper itself."
The Daily was launched in Feb. 2011 at a big event at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York.
Email: Georg.Szalai@thr.com Twitter: @georgszalai
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott