Former News of the World Editor Hired at New York Daily News
This story first appeared on Adweek.
New York Daily News editor-in-chief Kevin Convey is getting the boot, according to a staff memo from the tabloid’s owner, Mort Zuckerman, which was published this afternoon by Capital New York.
Effective January 10, Convey will be replaced by Colin Myler, who edited Rupert Murdoch’s News of the World from 2007 until the paper was forced to shut down last July amid allegations of phone hacking.
In the memo, Zuckerman thanked Convey for his editorial input at the Daily News, which he said “will only get better under the leadership of Colin.”
Prior to joining News of the World, Myler was executive editor of fellow News Corp. publication -- and Daily News rival—the New York Post.
Before that, Myler also acted as managing director of the U.K.’s Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror (both News Corp. competitors), but resigned in 2001 after a judge ruled that an article published in the Sunday Mirror jeopardized a trial involving assault allegations against two soccer players.
According to Capital New York, Convey’s contract at the Daily News wasn’t set to expire until this summer, making his departure premature. Although some staffers responded to the news departure with “shock” and “amazement,” wrote Capital, rumors of his leaving had surfaced months ago.
Other newsroom sources told Capital that Convey, who had been editor of the Boston Herald before heading to the New York tabloid in 2010, “was definitely not ready for New York City” and “looked lost from the start.” (He also apparently “dressed funny” and wore Chuck Taylor sneakers to work, for what it’s worth.)
Capital’s Joe Pompeo and Azi Paybarah are also reporting that there were three newsroom layoffs at the Daily News yesterday, which come in addition to the major editorial layoffs that famously took place during Convey’s tenure at the paper.
Read more news from Adweek.