Next Gen 2012: All-Star Alumni
From rising stars to Hollywood elite: Seven former honorees gather to offer wisdom to their younger selves.
For nearly two decades, The hollywood Reporter's annual Next Generation list has proved a definitive guide to the industry’s rising stars, an accurate predictor of the men and women who soon will run the industry. Let the seven Next gen honorees from the list’s early years -- Universal Pictures chairman Adam Fogelson, producer Todd Lieberman (The Muppets, The Fighter), Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore, HBO entertainment chief Sue Naegle, Showtime entertainment chief David Nevins, Fox Entertainment chairman Kevin Reilly and producer Scott Stuber (Ted, Safe House) -- who gathered Oct. 30 at Caulfield’s serve as proof. Moore was on the list in its first iteration in 1994, the same year such boldface names as WME’s Ari Emanuel, The Hunger Games producer Nina Jacobson, CAA’s Bryan Lourd, The Social Network producer Mike De Luca and Dreamworks’ Stacey Snider became honorees. Nevins and Reilly were crowned two years later, with Naegle and Stuber -- accompanied by NBCUniversal’s Jeff Shell and Shine’s Elisabeth Murdoch, among others -- gracing the list in 1998. By 2000, Fogelson had joined the Next gen ranks, with Lieberman following a year later.
David Nevins, 46
Showtime, President of Entertainment
Class of 1996
- Advice: "Don't say "cable obscurity" -- someday you may regret that one.
Sue Naegle, 43
HBO, President of Entertainment
Class of 1998
- Advice: "Time will obliterate your Rachel haircut and Discman. Children will obliterate your sleep patterns and the concept of a "lazy brunch."
Kevin Reilly, 50
Fox Broadcasting Co., Chairman of Entertainment
Class of 1996
- Advice: "Stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball."
Scott Stuber, 43
Class of 1998
- Advice: "Learn an instrument."
Todd Lieberman, 39
Mandeville Films, Partner
Class of 2001
- Advice: "When you start worrying about the future, all you need to look at is your past. If you've done good things to get you to this place, you'll continue to do good things. … Oh, and I'd tell younger me to dress better.
Adam Fogelson, 45
Universal Pictures, Chairman
Class of 2000
- Advice: "Start eating less."
Rob Moore, 50
Paramount, Vice Chairman
Class of 1994
- Advice: Definitely pursue the executive path, or you will still be waiting for Vin Scully to retire 18 years from now! And he's still the best!
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR