NHK Apologizes After April Fool Tweet About North Korea
Twitter message from NHK PR announces switch to state-controlled news in "slightly alarmed voice"
TOKYO – Public broadcaster NHK apologized this week after an April Fool tweet from its official PR account on Sunday suggesting that Japan was going to shift to North Korean-style news broadcasting.
The tweet, on April 1, announced that NHK would be merged with all the Japanese commercial broadcasting stations to form a state-run network, on which the news would be read by a kimono-clad announcer “in front of a blue background in a slightly alarmed voice.”
While not mentioning North Korea by name, the tweet was clearly poking fun at the state broadcaster of the totalitarian nation, where the news is read in just such a fashion.
The tweet, which ended with the hashtag #April Fool, was taken down and an apology issued.
A spokesperson for NHK told The Hollywood Reporter that the organization had received “a few complaints” and that the tweet had been taken down because it was deemed “inappropriate to be on NHK’s official PR account.”
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!