Nicki Minaj Is Twitter's Most-Followed Hip Hop Artist
The rapper surpasses Eminem with 8 million-and-counting followers on the social media site.
Nicki Minaj has set a new record: most-followed hip hop artist on Twitter. The rapper's reach -- 8,266,841 followers as of Monday morning -- outranks that of fellow superstar Eminem, who's got 8,246,297 for the second slot.
Minaj achieved this milestone Jan. 4, edging out the emcee for No. 1, according to BET.com. At the time, Minaj (@NICKIMINAJ) had 8,175,598 followers and Eminem (@Eminem) had 8,160,476. Are the extra followers for both artists indicative of some sort of unspoken Twitter war launched by Eminem fans attempting to reclaim his title? (Perhaps we're overthinking.)
Minaj, whose debut album Pink Friday was recently certified double platinum, will release her sophomore record, Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded on Valentine's Day. Last month, the rapper -- or rather, her alter ego Roman Zolanski -- dropped the first single off the album, "Stupid Hoe," appearing to take not-so-subtle potshots at Lil Kim.
Roman is one of the many creative alter ego’s used by Minaj in the studio and on stage. The rapper’s male second self is prominently featured on the Pink Friday track “Roman’s Revenge” featuring Eminem.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR