Nintendo Markets Wii U at Sundance with Party and Gaming Lounge
The Japanese game-maker is showing celebrities its next-generation game console at the Nintendo Lounge and hosting a party in Park City, Utah, to celebrate filmmakers.
With the Wii U still in short supply, Nintendo is making the most of its head start in the next-generation console race. With Sony and Microsoft expected to announce and ship their new consoles this year, Nintendo is turning to Hollywood for some additional publicity.
Nintendo will host several events during this year’s Sundance Film Festival, including a premiere party for the Wii U Video Challenge as well as the Nintendo Lounge, a gaming lounge that gives residents of Park City, Utah, and festival attendees the opportunity to experience and enjoy unreleased Nintendo games for the hit Wii U console and Nintendo 3DS XL hand-held system.
The Wii U Video Challenge premiere party will kick things off on Jan 17. The event showcases the talents of the next generation of filmmakers, who made films about the new console. At the event, Nintendo will premiere three short films that feature the exclusive gameplay experiences of the Wii U console and New Super Mario Bros. U.
YouTube filmmakers from all over the country were asked to create short films focusing on the unique game play of Wii U and the Wii U GamePad controller. From the pool of talented filmmakers, 12 were selected to participate in the 48-hour Wii U Video Challenge from Jan. 11-13. The short films made by the three teams of four people each will premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in the Nintendo Lounge on Jan. 17 in front of film industry influencers, Nintendo executives and other VIPs. Films will be voted on by the live audience in attendance.
For three days starting Jan. 18, Nintendo opens the doors of the Nintendo Lounge to industry executives and celebrities. On Jan. 21, the gaming lounge opens to the public. The Nintendo Lounge offers the opportunity to take a break from the frigid weather of Park City and play Wii U games like New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, ZombiU and SiNG PARTY and to preview exclusive games not out yet, like Rayman Legends and Wii Fit U.
The Nintendo Lounge at Sundance is located at 738 Main St., Park City, Utah, and is open to Park City residents, festival attendees and out-of-town visitors on Jan. 21 from 1-5 p.m.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Let's Help Rush Limbaugh With This Whole Movies With The Word 'Slave' In The Title Thing