Noel Gallagher Explains Why He Didn't Appear at Olympics Closing Ceremony
He also says he gave his brother Liam's band last-minute approval and compares the secrecy surrounding the closing event to Iran's nuclear program.
LONDON - Former Oasis star Noel Gallagher has told a British radio station that he turned down appearing at the Olympics Closing Ceremony with his brother Liam and his band after being asked to sing play-back.
The Telegraph said Gallagher, who now is front man for Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, told the station he got an invitation "a long time ago."
But the secrecy surrounding the closing ceremony and the circumstances of the performance annoyed him. "They wanted me to do it acoustically – and then they wanted me to mime," he said, according to the paper. "And I'm all for miming in TV shows – but if you're in a stadium with 80,000 people and you're pretending? I can play live!"
The paper, which censored the expletive he used, also quoted him as saying he told one of the event's organizers: "I do this **** for a living!"
Gallagher also complained that "they were being so secretive" about the closing ceremony. "I was like 'Who else is playing?' and they were like 'We can't tell you, you've got to sign a confidentiality agreement'. It's like it's the Iran nuclear program or something."
In the end, Beady Eye, the band fronted by his brother and Oasis colleague Liam, and the other members of the most recent incarnation of the band performed Oasis hit “Wonderwall” at the closing ceremony.
But Gallagher said he was close to not giving them permission to play the song he wrote.
"They had to re-record it and then send it to me," the Telegraph cited him as telling the radio station. "I did play a bit of cat and mouse with them for a few days. I took it 'til Friday night at 10 o'clock before I said yes."
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'