Nordic World to Buy Dutch Format Group Absolutely Independent
The deal is expected to be finalized ahead of television market MIPTV in March.
Scandinavian television group Nordic World has signed a deal to acquire a majority stake in Dutch reality TV producer Absolutely Independent for an undisclosed sum.
The deal, which both parties said should be finalized before international TV market MIPTV in March, would see Absolutely Independent merge with Nordic World, creating a new European format giant. Absolutely Independent has some 125 produced formats in its catalog, including Find My Family, The Phone, The Exit List and Who Am I?, which have sold to multiple territories.
The agreement includes an option for Nordic World to take full control of Absolutely Independent in three years.
Nordic World CEO Espen Huseby said that the merged company will be rebranded ahead of MIPCOM in October. The new group will have a more international focus, he said.
Nordic World is following the lead of numerous European TV production groups in trying to set up a global production and distribution network. The company, owned by Scandinavian broadcasters TV2 Norway and TV4 Sweden, is focusing in particular on English-speaking markets.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!