Norway Killer Names 'Dogville' His Favorite Film, Director Lars von Trier Responds
Morrissey is not the only one attracting attention over the attacks in Norway.
LONDON -- Morrissey's not the only one attracting attention over the attacks in Norway. It seems Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian man who killed 77 people recently, listed von Lars Von Trier's Dogville as one of his favorite films.
Danish director Trier recently called himself a Nazi and said that he sympathizes with Hitler. But it turns out that he's not in favor of slaughtering large numbers of people.
After finding out that Breivik listed Dogville as one of his favorite films, von Trier said: "I feel badly about thinking that Dogville, which in my eyes is one of my most successful films, should have been a kind of script for him.” The statement was made in an interview with the Danish paper Politiken, according to New York Magazine.
“It’s horrific. My intention with Dogville was totally opposite. Namely, to ask whether we can accept a protagonist who takes revenge on the entire village. And here I take the absolute distance from revenge. It’s a way to nuance the protagonist and our feelings and perhaps even uncover it, so it just is not black and white.”
"The last scene of Dogville bears painful similarities with Utoeya," the director added.
Utoeya is the island where Breivik opened fire on a summer camp, killing 69 people. And at the end of Dogville, the inhabitants of the town are all gunned down.
"You're asking me if I'm sad for having made this film? Yes, if it has proved to have inspired him, I'm sorry for having made it," said von Trier, adding that the film's intention was to educate the public, not inspire violence.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Seth Meyers To Host 2014 Emmy Awards On August 25
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services