NPR Names Interim CEO, Offers Voluntary Buyouts
The media organization said that it would look to cut staffing levels by 10 percent in order to reduce a deficit.
After the departure of Gary Knell last month, NPR has found its interim CEO as the organization plans to reduce staffing levels.
Paul G. Haaga Jr., who's served on the NPR board since 2011, was named acting president and CEO, the media organization announced on Friday. He will start Sept. 30.
"Paul has made many valuable contributions to NPR during his tenure on the board," said Kit Jensen, chair of the NPR's board of directors, in a statement. "His intimate knowledge of our organization, his unwavering commitment to the highest quality of journalism and programming, and his financial acumen make him particularly well-suited to lead NPR as we begin our search for a permanent chief executive."
Haaga has previously served as a senior attorney for the SEC and as the chair of NPR's finance committee.
A search committee has been appointed to look for a permanent replacement for Knell, who served for nearly two years before taking a job as president and CEO of the National Geographic Society in August.
NPR, which says that it is operating with a $6.1 million cash deficit, also stated that in order to balance its budget over two years it will offer a "buyout plan broadly across the organization that seeks to reduce staffing levels by approximately 10 percent."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!