Nu Image/Millennium Expresses 'Great Regret' After 'Expendables 2' Death
One stuntman was killed and another critically injured on the "Expendables 2" set by a bomb explosion gone wrong.
COLOGNE, Germany – Avi Lerner’s Nu Image/Millennium production company has issued a statement expressing “great regret” after a stunt when tragically wrong on the set of the firm’s Expendables 2 actioner, killing a stuntman and severely injuring another.
"It is with great regret that we confirm this unfortunate accident," goes the statement, issued by Nu Image’s Bulgarian studio NU Boyana, where Expendables 2 is shooting. "Our hearts go out to the families and those on the production affected by this tragedy. The filmmakers are working closely with the authorities in responding to and investigating this accident.”
Expendables 2, the sequel to Sylvester Stallone’s surprise 2010 hit, was shooting at the Ognyanovo water reservoir in Southwestern Bulgaria when the accident occurred Thursday. Two stuntmen were in a rubber boat in the water when, around 7 pm local time, a planned bomb explosion went wrong. One of the stuntmen was killed on the spot. The other was taken to hospital in Sofia, the Bulgarian capital, where he remains in serious condition.
The scene was being shot by the film’s second unit. Director Simon West and the film’s main cast, which includes Jason Statham, Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger, were several hours away at the time, in the resort town of Bansko.
It is unclear what impact the incident will have on the Expendables 2 shoot. The first Expendables was a huge hit, grossing some $274 million worldwide, including a domestic take of $103 million. Lionsgate plans to bow sequel on Aug. 17, 2012.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills