Obama Jokes About 'Star Wars', 'Star Trek' Confusion at Gridiron Dinner
"Spock is what Maureen Dowd calls me. Darth Vader is what John Boehner calls me," the president said at a D.C. event.
President Obama may reportedly consider himself a Star Trek fan, but that doesn't mean he can always distinguish between the universes of Vulcans and Jedi.
Addressing journalists on Saturday evening at the Gridiron Dinner, Obama referenced a recent slip-up in which he confused a "Jedi mind trick" with a Trek-universe "mind meld."
"After a very public mix-up last week, my communications team has provided me with an easy way to distinguish between Star Trek and Star Wars," Obama stated, per the official White House transcript.
"Spock is what Maureen Dowd calls me. Darth Vader is what John Boehner calls me," he said, referencing the New York Times columnist and the Republican House Speaker.
The joke was in response to a press conference he gave in early March where he responded to a CNN correspondent's query about sequestration by replying that he hoped he could "somehow do a Jedi mind meld with these folks and convince them to do what's right."
Obama ended his remarks at the Gridiron Dinner, an annual event that was held this year at D.C.'s Washington Renaissance Hotel, by intentionally making a more obvious sci-fi mistake.
"And in the words of one of my favorite Star Trek characters -- Captain James T. Kirk of the USS Enterprise -- 'May the force be with you,'" the president said.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Michelle Obama Hosts Women in Soul Event, President Barack Obama Flubs Spelling of Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!