Obama Addresses Hollywood: Reelection Won't Be as Sexy as His First Campaign
"Back then it was still fresh and new," Obama told actor Will Smith, producer James Lassiter, Magic Johnson and others at fundraiser. "This time...we've got to grind it out a little bit."
Making his second fundraising trip to Los Angeles inside of a month, President Barack Obama told a Hollywood crowd gathered at producer James Lassiter's Hancock Park house on Monday evening that his reelection campaign "will not be as sexy as the first one."
"Back then it was still fresh and new," Obama told the small dinner crowd, which included actor Will Smith and former Laker Magic Johnson. "I didn't have any gray hair. Everybody loved the 'Hope' posters and all that. This time it's - we've got to grind it out a little bit.
"We've got to grind it out. But the cause is the same. And my passion is the same. And my commitment is the same.''
Obama's comments went to the heart of what a number of his Hollywood supporters have been complaining about recently -- that he's not showing enough fight. On Friday, actress Kathy Bates told CNN's Piers Morgan that Obama needs to "stand up on his hind-legs and fight these rat bastards" on Wall Street. That sentiment hasn't gone unnoticed by the president.
"We've made great progress but we've got so much more work to do,'' he said. "Obviously in Washington, the politics that I think people are hoping for is not what they're getting. It's still dysfunctional. It's still perversely partisan.''
According to a pool report, the president talked about his new mortgage refinance program, which he unveiled earlier during a swing through Nevada, the start of a fundraising tour that's expected to net $4 million for his reelection campaign.
About 300 people, including Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, comedian George Lopez and newscaster Giselle Fernandez, greeted him there. Longoria introduced president to the crowd. According to the pool report, the actress told the group that Obama “speaks to the Latino community because he knows he’s the president of all Americans. And we applaud you from our community; we thank you for everything you’re doing.’’
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack