Obama's Al Green 'Lets Stay Together' Video Goes Viral (Video)
8:29 PM PST 1/20/2012 by Andy Lewis
The president thrilled an audience at Harlem's Apollo Theater with his singing.
President Barack Obama's nickname should be the "singing president."
our editor recommends
He proved it again on Thursday night when he crooned a bit of Al Green's soul classic “Let’s Stay Together” during a fundraiser at the famous Apollo Theater in Harlem.
After noting that the "Reverend Al Green" had performed earlier in the evening, Obama crooned, “Ahhhhm ... so in love with you," as the crowd cheered wildly. He broke into a wide smile and pointed to the side of the stage. "Those guys didn’t think I would do it. I told ya I was going to do it." It was unclear who Obama was pointing to off stage, but it might have been First Lady Michelle Obama and Spike Lee, who had been with the president earlier in the evening.
Post-song, Obama apologized to Green for not being able to "sing like you." Later, Green told TMZ, "I think he nailed it... I was thrilled that the President even mentioned my name, and if the President can get the economy going again and get everything going that he wants to, then we'll all be together."
It's was not the first occasion that Obama has broken song during a speech. During 2008's general election in which he defeated GOP nominee John McCain, Obama sang the Aretha Franklin hit "Chain of Fools" to a Detroit crowd that included the Queen of Soul.
Watch the president's Al Green moment here:
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR