Obama Touts LGBT Achievements in New Campaign Ad (Video)
Actress Jane Lynch narrates a five-minute video released Wednesday by the Obama Campaign. The president calls the repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" one of the "most satisfying" moments of his presidency.
The Obama reelection campaign on Wednesday released a new video touting the president's achievements in fighting for equal rights for gays and lesbians.
The 5-minute video, posted on YouTube, is narrated by Glee star Jane Lynch. The spot features a candid interview with President Obama, who talks about about the repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" and why he supports marriage equality. It also includes footage of Lady Gaga applauding the president at a Human Rights Coalition event.
"The fight for LGBT rights is consistent with that most important part of America's character, which is to constantly expand opportunity and fairness to everybody," Obama says in the video. "We have seen a profound cultural shift in the last decade, partly because folks are family now. This isn't a matter of strangers. These are people we love, people we care about."
Lynch, in her narration, credits Obama for making "more significant advances for LGBT Americans than any other president who came before him."
Obama says on camera that one of his proudest moments was the repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell."
"It was not an easy process," he said. "There were some who doubted that we would ever get it done. That day that we signed it was an emotional day. To see folks that were not just active in the military, but to see veterans -- some of them from the Vietnam War or the Gulf War -- seeing tears on their faces and understanding what it meant to them to be acknowledged was one of the most satisfying moments of my presidency.
The new video, which you can watch below, is timed to further energize the president's base at a time when Obama has increased his fundraising efforts in the LGBT community. He returns to Los Angeles on June 6 for two LGBT fundraising events.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer Addresses Sexual Abuse Allegations: They Are 'Outrageous' & 'Completely False'
- Elizabeth Banks Attends Screening for 'Walk of Shame', Wears Two Dresses!
- 'Jem & the Holograms' Leading Cast Revealed: Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, & More!
- Novak Djokovic Expecting First Child with Fiancee Jelena Ristic!