OC Register Plans Los Angeles Daily Newspaper
The owners of the Register recently launched a Long Beach edition and acquired the Riverside Press-Enterprise.
The Orange County Register is looking to expand to Los Angeles county.
Aaron Kushner, the co-owner of the paper, announced the plans in a statement published in a news article by the Register on Thursday evening. "It will be a daily newspaper of not quite the heft of the Orange County Register," he said.
He stated that the Los Angeles Register, as the edition will be titled, hasn't set a specific launch date. The article notes that the publication's content will be provided by OC Register reporters who are based in Los Angeles.
Kushner, who led a group that purchased the Register in June 2012, has since unveiled ambitious plans for the newspaper. The new owners have added new print sections filled with more content, hired dozens of additional employees (including Times sports columnist T.J. Simers) and added a paywall for online content.
The expansion included the August 2013 launch of a daily newspaper edition in Long Beach and the acquisition of the Riverside Press-Enterprise in late November.
Earlier this year, Kushner had been reported as interested in acquiring The Los Angeles Times from Tribune Co., which is planning to spinoff its newspaper assets into a separate entity called Tribune Publishing.
The Register's owners have consistently articulated a print-centric approach, making the Register a case-study for observers who have tracked the publication's progress as many daily papers shift toward digital-first.
The new owners have have been criticized for parts of their growth strategy. In March, a Los Angeles Times article critiqued the Register for blurring the lines "between advertising copy and news stories" with stand-alone sections devoted to Chapman University and UC Irvine that were paid for by the schools.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)