Octavia Spencer Cast in Diablo Cody's Directorial Debut
The actress joins Julianne Hough and Russell Brand for the Mandate project.
Octavia Spencer, riding high off of The Help, has signed on to star alongside Julianne Hough and Russell Brand in Diablo Cody’s directorial debut.
The Mandate project, which was once titled Lamb of God, follows a young conservative religious woman (Hough) who loses her faith after a plane crash, decides to go to Las Vegas to live the life of a sinner, and on her journey finds her way back to her faith. Brand plays her unlikely companion who helps her find herself.
Spencer will play a card dealer who works at the same casino as Brand and wants to help her in her quest for sin.
Cody, an Oscar winner for Juno, penned Jason Reitman's Young Adult, which Paramount will release in December.
Mason Novick is producing.
Lionsgate is handling international sales and will present the film as part of their American Film Market slate. The movie is heading for a spring 2012 start.
Spencer is repped by WME and attorney Karl Austen.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game