Ofcom opens BSkyB consultation on DTT plans
LONDON -- British media regulator Ofcom on Thursday said it was opening a consultation into whether satcaster British Sky Broadcasting should be allowed to launch a pay-based digital terrestrial television service.
The regulator said it was "not making a specific recommendation at this stage" but was "keen to receive views" and has given the industry until Dec. 14 to submit consultations.
Among its concerns, the regulator said, was the view that Sky's strong market position in pay television as a channel supplier meant that it could become dominant in the digital terrestrial space as well. But Ofcom conceded that the Sky-branded DTT service also could increase the choice and availability of retail pay TV services on the DTT platform. "Consumers would be presented with an increase in choice of sports, movies, factual, children's and general entertainment programming," the regulator said.
Sky currently provides Sky News, Sky Sports News and Sky Three to the DTT platform on a free-to-air basis. Under its proposals, the channels would be replaced with pay channels Sky Sports 1, Sky News, Sky One, a children's service and Sky Movies.
A spokesperson for BT, the telecom company that has launched television services, said BSkyB's plans "raise significant issues for the U.K. TV market and in particular for the development of Freeview and competition in pay TV."
BT said it supports Ofcom's decision "to examine the potential impact of these proposals on consumers and their approach to consult widely and consider the application carefully. We will set out our views more fully in response to the consultation."
The satcaster originally announced plans to launch the service in the spring.
Ofcom also is carrying out a more general inquiry into Sky's position in the pay-television market after the satcaster's dispute with Virgin Media, which saw Sky's basic tier entertainment channels dropped from 3.3 million cable homes.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)