U.K. Media Watchdog Ofcom Rules Out Investigation Into Controversial Islam Documentary
There will be no inquiry into Tom Holland's "Islam: The Untold Story" despite more than 1,000 complaints from the British public.
LONDON -- U.K. media watchdog Ofcom has decided not to investigate Tom Holland's documentary questioning the origins of Islam.
Ofcom made the decision not to mount an investigation despite British broadcaster Channel 4 receiving more than 1,000 complaints from the British public.
The documentary, Islam: The Untold Story, presented by Holland, claimed there was little contemporary evidence about the origin of the religion.
Holland attracted myriad abuse on Twitter following the show's broadcast on British television in August this year after the program questioned when the Qur'an was written.
The documentary also suggested that Mecca may not have been the real birthplace of the prophet.
Channel 4 cancelled a planned screening of the documentary at its headquarters amid security concerns.
The broadcast regulator Ofcom said Monday it had received 287 complaints about the documentary, with 282 of those about discrimination and offense relating to religious beliefs.
Ofcom said Monday that having assessed the complaints it would not be investigating the documentary further to see if it is in breach of the U.K. broadcasting code.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting