'The Office' Spin-off Being Considered at NBC
A source confirmed that the network is considering a spin-off centered on Rainn Wilson's Dwight Schrute and his life on his family beet farm.
There may be more life left at The Office.
Reports of NBC eyeing a potential spin-off centered around Rainn Wilson’s quirky Dwight Schrute character are indeed true, according to a well-placed source. The idea would be to further explore the Shrute family farm, with multiple generations of Schrutes involved. The comedy concept could get a test of sorts on an episode of The Office later this season.
Wilson, along with actor/showrunner Paul Lieberstein and executive producer Ben Silverman, are believed to be involved, with Greg Daniels sitting out this iteration as he’s devoted to too many other projects at the network. Among them: his adaptation of British series Friday Night Dinner, which got a pilot order from NBC earlier this week.
While Wilson’s character has long had something of a cult following, the idea is not without risk. One need only look at Friend’s short-lived spinoff Joey for a cautionary tale. Making the potential move that much more risky is the current state of the original, which is no longer the ratings or buzz driver it once was.
The news of a potential spin-off comes mere months after the long-running NBC staple was forced to undergo a substantial casting change in the wake of Steve Carell’s departure. The series came back last September with new hire James Spader and Ed Helm’s Andy Bernard assuming the role of regional manager.
The Office has not been picked up for a ninth season, though given the show's legacy and younger male appeal as well as the health of the network, a renewal seems very likely.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10