Oliver Stone Speaks Candidly About Drugs: 'Grass Is God's Gift'
The director, who likens himself to Willie Nelson, reveals that he stays away from cocaine, but loves ecstasy.
Ask Oliver Stone about drugs and the answers are revealing.
“I’m like Willie Nelson,” the Savages director says in The Hollywood Reporter cover story. “I believe the grass is God’s gift."
The filmmaker that's brought Platoon, Wall Street and Born on the Fourth of July to the big screen shows just how much he knows and what he enjoys.
"California makes the best in the world now. When I was a kid, it was Vietnamese, it was Thai, Jamaican for a while. All my life I’ve been doing it, off and on," he says. "I can stop marijuana. I can [go without it] for weeks and weeks. I’m not addicted, but I enjoy it. I also enjoy alcohol.”
As for heavy drugs, Stone is more nitpicky.
“Cocaine, I stay away from," he reveals. "But I believe in LSD, mescaline, mushrooms, ayahuasca. You ever heard of ayahuasca? It’s a very strong juice that comes from the rubber trees. Ecstasy is great, too.”
Savages, in theaters July 6, centers on two pot growers whose mutual girlfriend is kidnapped by a Mexican cartel. Taylor Kitsch, Blake Lively, Aaron Johnson, Benicio Del Toro, Salma Hayek and John Travolta star.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!