Oliver Stone, John Cusack Slam NSA in PSA (Video)
Maggie Gyllenhaal, activists and whistleblowers appear in the "Stop Watching Us" spot.
Stars are speaking out against the NSA.
Oliver Stone, Maggie Gyllenhaal, John Cusack, Phil Donahue and Wil Wheaton joined activists, academics and whistleblowers in a new PSA demanding the NSA end mass surveillance of American citizens.
The spot draws a link between modern-day surveillance and that of former President Richard Nixon, who used to keep tabs on his political enemies and the press.
"It was wrong then, and it's wrong now," Cusack says in the spot. "The tools for surveillance have never been more powerful and the threat to our civil liberties have never been greater."
The PSA is leading up to the Stop Watching Us: Rally Against Mass Surveillance being held in Washington, D.C., on Saturday. The rally will coincide with the 12th anniversary of the signing of the Patriot Act.
"History tells us we need to watch the watchers," Stone says, with Cusack adding, "and in the surveillance state, democracy itself is dead."
The PSA was produced by the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Luminant Media.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR