Oliver Stone's 'Savages' to Open Zurich Film Festival
The film, which stars Taylor Kitsch, Aaron Taylor Johnson and John Travolta, begins its European rollout after the London Summer Olympics.
Oliver Stone's stoner action thriller Savages, starring Taylor Kitsch, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Blake Lively, will open the 8th annual Zurich International Film Festival on September 20.
Stone is no stranger to the young Swiss festival, having attended several times before, including in 2007, when the Oscar-winning filmmaker received Zurich's lifetime achievement honor, the Golden Eye. This year's Zurich Golden Eye winner is veteran producer Jerry Weintraub, whose credits include the Ocean's Eleven and Karate Kid franchises.
Savages, which also features John Travolta, Benicio Del Toro and Salma Hayek, has earned $46 million domestically for Universal Pictures since its July 6th release. But international distributors have held back the global rollout of the film, in part to avoid going head-to-head with this summer's big televised sporting events - the Euro 2012 Soccer Championships and the 2012 London Olympics.
Savages begins its European rollout September 13 in Russia and continues across Europe through September and October.
The 8th annual Zurich Film Festival runs Sept.20-30.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'