One Direction Heading to the Big Screen
Morgan Spurlock, the documentarian behind "Super Size Me" and "Comic-Con: A Fan's Hope," is directing a 3D movie about the British pop phenom.
One Direction is heading to the big screen.
Sony Pictures is making a behind-the-scenes 3D movie based on the boy band behind the hit What Makes You Beautiful.
Morgan Spurlock will direct the project, and TriStar Pictures will release it Aug. 30, 2013.
Spurlock, who helmed the well-regarded documentaries Super Size Me and The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, is producing with Simon Cowell, who discovered the band on his X Factor U.K. reality show in 2010. Also producing are Ben Winston and Adam Milano.
One Direction comprises Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson. The band developed a strong following across the pond before hitting the U.S. market in March, when the group’s debut album, Up All Night, entered the U.S. Billboard 200 chart at No. 1; it was the first time a U.K. group had achieved that feat.
The latest album, Take Me Home, hit stores Monday.
Executive producing are Richard Griffiths, Harry Magee, Will Bloomfield, Matthew Galkin, Jeremy Chilnick and Doug Merrifield. Columbia Pictures president Hannah Minghella and vp production Lauren Abrahams will oversee production for the studio.
The behind-the-scenes music movie is a blend of concert footage and slice of the musician life that purports to give fans a glimpse into the real artists. It’s a genre that has come to life in recent years and has proved popular because it does not cost much to make.
The latest entry in the genre was Katy Perry: Part of Me, which had a budget of about $12 million and sang up $25 million domestically when it opened July 5. Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, considered more of a concert film, holds the domestic box-office record for a concert film with $73 million when it was released Feb. 11, 2011.
One Direction, Spurlock and Cowell are repped by CAA.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Emmy Rossum & Zoey Deutch Celebrate with Jimmy Choo at their CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Zoe Saldana Is Pregnant with Fear in 'Rosemary's Baby' Trailer!
- Television Legend Valerie Harper 'Absolutely Cancer Free' After Battle with Terminal Brain Cancer
- Keri Russell's 'The Americans' Renewed for Third Season by FX!