Oprah's Ratings Lesson: To Grab Viewers, Book Stars
"Oprah's Next Chapter" draws 3.5 million viewers, tripling anything shown on the struggling cabler.
Oprah Winfrey's March 11 interview with Whitney Houston's family underscores the importance of Winfrey being on OWN.
Oprah's Next Chapter drew 3.5 million viewers, tripling anything shown on the struggling 15-month-old cabler. (OWN's previous best was an interview with Joel Osteen, watched by 1.6 million.) But can a weekly spike from Winfrey save the low-rated network?
"You have to start with one hit and build out from there," observes Horizon Media's Brad Adgate.
OWN upped Next Chapter to twice-weekly installments in February with mixed results, and like her once-dominant syndicated talk show, Next Chapter's ratings are largely guest-driven. A Feb. 19 show featuring Tony Robbins drew barely 500,000 viewers. The moral: "She should use all her leverage [to book big guests]," says Adgate.
Lady Gaga sits down with Winfrey on March 18.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws