'La La Land' Tops Nominees on Social Media Ahead of Oscars
'Lion's' Nicole Kidman, 'La La Land's' Ryan Gosling, 'Florence Foster Jenkins' star Meryl Streep and 'Hell or High Water's' Jeff Bridges take the top rankings in their categories across platforms, according to MVPindex.
MVPindex, the social media index and valuation platform for sports and entertainment, analyzed data from Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to rank the Oscar-nominated actors and films based on the social media activity they generated over the past year.
MVPindex uses a proprietary algorithm that ranks each actor and film based on three separate scores: Reach (fans, followers, impressions), engagement (likes, comments, shares, retweets, favorites) and conversation (positive/negative mentions).
All nine films nominated for best picture have social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (except for Hidden Figures, which is absent from Instagram), but only half of the 20 Oscar-nominated actors have social media accounts.
See who ranked at the top of the biggest categories below.
• The top-ranked best picture nominee was La La Land, with 83 percent more followers (over 447,000) than the No. 2 film, Hidden Figures. La La Land dominates on Instagram, where it has more than double the followers of all the other films combined. Together, all of the films had a total of 484 posts since their nominations were announced.
• Best supporting actress is the most competitive social media category with all five nominees active on social media. Nicole Kidman ranks No. 1 with highest reach, engagement and conversation scores among the nominees. Kidman is only active on Facebook, where she has over 10 million followers. Octavia Spencer has posted 153 times on social since her nomination was announced — all other best supporting actresses posted a combined 293 times.
• In the best actor category, only Gosling and Casey Affleck are active on social media. Gosling is only on Twitter but ranks No. 1 i among the best actor nominees. Affleck is on Twitter and Instagram but has a very small social media following and is ranked last overall, even though the other three actors — Viggo Mortensen, Denzel Washington and Andrew Garfield — are not on any social media platforms. None of the best actor nominees have posted on social media since their nominations were announced.
• Isabelle Huppert is the only best actress nominee on social media, but Meryl Streep takes the number one spot due to the high volume of positive conversation happening about her on social media. Huppert has posted 16 times since the nominations were announced.
• Jeff Bridges ranks No. 1 among best supporting actor nominees and is active on all three social media platforms. Mahershala Ali is ranked No. 2 but is only active on Instagram. The other best supporting actor nominees, Lucas Hedges, Dev Patel and Michael Shannon, are inactive on social media. Bridges and Ali have posted a total of 23 times since their nominations were announced.
MVPindex is a comprehensive social media index and valuation platform for the sports and entertainment industries, offering real-time analytics on more than 50,000 athletes, entertainers, teams, leagues, and brands ranked across the most popular social platforms.