Oscar-Nominated Demian Bichir to Make Directorial Debut
The star of "A Better Life" will helm indie love story "Refugio."
MEXICO CITY -- Academy Award nominee Demian Bichir is making his directorial debut with the indie love story Refugio.
Best known for his Oscar-nominated performance in the immigration-themed A Better Life, Bichir is branching out into directing and screenwriting for Refugio, which tells the story of a young man who leaves behind his circus family to search for a long lost love.
BN Films, the production company of Alex Garcia and Lucas Akoskin, are co-producing Refugio with Escarabajo Productions, the shingle owned by Bichir's brother, Bruno Bichir. Shooting begins this fall in the U.S. and Mexico.
Mary Vernieu (Silver Linings Playbook, Black Swan) is on board as casting director. Talent will be announced later.
Represented by CAA, Mexican-born Bichir has become a hot commodity as a result of last year's Oscar nomination. Up next, he'll be co-starring in Fox's The Heat, FX's The Bridge and Open Road's Machete Kills.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Sunny Day Real Estate Releases 'Lipton Witch,' First Song In 14 Years
- 'Batman Beyond' Animated Short Premieres At WonderCon In Honor of Franchise's 75th Anniversary
- Here Is A Photo Of Mariah Carey Dressed As A Bunny And Using Nick Cannon As Furniture
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!