Oscar-Nominated Demian Bichir to Make Directorial Debut
The star of "A Better Life" will helm indie love story "Refugio."
MEXICO CITY -- Academy Award nominee Demian Bichir is making his directorial debut with the indie love story Refugio.
Best known for his Oscar-nominated performance in the immigration-themed A Better Life, Bichir is branching out into directing and screenwriting for Refugio, which tells the story of a young man who leaves behind his circus family to search for a long lost love.
BN Films, the production company of Alex Garcia and Lucas Akoskin, are co-producing Refugio with Escarabajo Productions, the shingle owned by Bichir's brother, Bruno Bichir. Shooting begins this fall in the U.S. and Mexico.
Mary Vernieu (Silver Linings Playbook, Black Swan) is on board as casting director. Talent will be announced later.
Represented by CAA, Mexican-born Bichir has become a hot commodity as a result of last year's Oscar nomination. Up next, he'll be co-starring in Fox's The Heat, FX's The Bridge and Open Road's Machete Kills.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'