Oscars: What's Next for the Nominated Directors
David O. Russell heads to the 1970s, Ang Lee wants Angelina Jolie in "Cleopatra" -- and Steven Spielberg's still undecided.
This story first appeared in the March 1 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
The Amour helmer is directing the Mozart opera Cosi fan tutte in Madrid. After Spain, Haneke will take the light and breezy production -- a far cry from his films -- to La Monnaie in Brussels, where it will premiere May 23. Following Cosi's final curtain calls, the Austrian will turn his attention to writing his next movie.
Although the Life of Pi director told THR in January that he really wants to direct Angelina Jolie in Sony's Cleopatra, he's not attached -- yet. "I'm about to read the script," Lee said at the Palm Springs International Film Festival. "It just feels right to me after all the other types of films I've done."
DAVID O. RUSSELL
The director begins filming a still-untitled drama in New York and Boston in March that reunites him with Silver Linings Playbook star Bradley Cooper and The Fighter's Christian Bale and Amy Adams. He's also signed on to direct Jennifer Lawrence again in The Weinstein Co. drama The Ends of the Earth.
Now that Robopocalypse is on ice, the Lincoln helmer is mulling -- but undecided on -- his next directing vehicle. He is said to be interested in a George Gershwin biopic, and he's executive producing Jurassic Park IV (there's little chance he would direct) and prepping the 3D theatrical release of the first Jurassic Park.
Zeitlin is writing an original screenplay that he will direct next for Beasts of the Southern Wild distributor Fox Searchlight. The filmmaker is keeping plot details close to the vest, but the project has been described as a Louisiana-set story about a place with an abnormal aging process.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)