Antti J. Jokine's 'Purge' Finland's Oscar Hopeful
The literary adaptation looks at the legacy of Soviet oppression in Estonia.
Purge from director Antti J. Jokinen will be Finland's contender for the 2013 Best Foreign Language Film Oscar.
The drama, in which a young woman and an elderly woman and confronted by the common horrors of their past, is based on the novel by Sofi Oksanen. The story examines an almost forgotten piece of history - the suffering of people of the Baltic nation of Estonia under Soviet rule.
Purge was produced by Markus Selin and Jukka Helle for Finland's Solar Films in co-production with Estonia's Taska Film. Laura Birn and Liisi Tandefelt star. TrustNordisk is handling international sales on Purge.
Finland has never won the Best Foreign Language Oscar and has only been nominated once: for Aki Kaurismaki's The Man Without A Past in 2002.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR