Oscars: Argentina Nominates 'Wakolda' for Foreign Language Oscar
The director is the daughter of Oscar-winning director Luis Puenzo, who co-produced the film.
SAN SEBASTIAN, Spain – Lucia Puenzo’s The German Doctor (Wakolda), the tale of an Argentine family who lives with Dr. Mengele without knowing his true identity, will represent Argentina in its run up to the foreign language Oscar.
Wakolda, screening in San Sebastian’s Horizontes Latinos sidebar, is a co-production between Historias Cinematograficas, Wanda Vision, Pyramide Prod. and HummelFilm. Pyramide International handles worldwide sales. It screened at the Cannes Film Festival's Un Certain Regard sidebar.
“I’m proud because I love the movie, and I think that Lucia did an amazing job. It is the sign of maturity for Lucia. She has reached a certain point in her career,” said Axel Kuschevatzky of Telefonica Studios, also a co-producer. “If she wins she will join the ranks of the Hustons and the Coppolas.”
Puenzo is the daughter of Luis Puenzo, who co-produced the film and won the 1986 Foreign Language Oscar for The Official Story.
Nearly 60,000 tickets sold the first weekend in Argentina for Puenzo’s third feature film, which is slated for release in the U.S. by Samuel Goldwyn Films in the spring of 2014.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zosia Mamet Attends 'Hand To God' Opening Night with Boyfriend Evan Jonigkeit!
- Rita Ora Rocks Sexy Pink Bodysuit for L.A. Music Video Shoot!
- Shirtless Josh Henderson's Six Pack is Unreal in Op's Latest Campaign with Bikini-Clad Nina Agdal!
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!