Oscars: 'Gravity' Most Popular Best Picture Nominee on Social Media
Alfonso Cuaron's hit boasts nearly 450,000 fans on Facebook, followed by "The Wolf of Wall Street" and "American Hustle."
The Academy has spoken and given nine films best picture Oscar nominations. While studios are planning rereleases of some of them to capitalize on the noms, the buzz online for the contenders will likely only heat up leading to the March 2 ceremony.
Throughout the rest of Oscars season, The Hollywood Reporter will periodically check in on the social media buzz surrounding the nominees with data coming from ListenFirst, which aggregates and analyzes data streams across social, digital and traditional channels.
Gravity currently leads the best picture nominees with the largest social footprint. It boasts 447,604 on Facebook (it does not have an independent Twitter account). The Wolf of Wall Street is second with 392,414 fans, while American Hustle tracks third with 343,560 fans. 12 Years a Slave (137,789 fans), Captain Phillips (131,295), Her (110,230), Dallas Buyers Club (69,326) and Nebraska (11,862) round out the top eight.
The other best picture nominee, Philomena, does not have an independent Facebook or Twitter account and was not included in the ranking. It should be noted that like Gravity, the figures for 12 Years a Slave, Her and Nebraska are for Facebook only, as the films do not have Twitter accounts.
Of course, social media popularity does not necessarily equate to Oscar glory. Just after nominations were announced last year, eventual best picture winner Argo had a significantly smaller social footprint (131,040 Facebook fans) than Les Miserables (1 million fans across Facebook and Twitter). Argo had no independent Twitter account at the time.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game