MTV: Video Music Awards
August 30, 2015
Venice International Film Festival Begins
September 2, 2015
ATAS, Primetime Emmys Awards: Creative Arts Awards and Ball
September 12, 2015
ATAS, 67th Primetime Emmy Awards (5:00 PM PDT)
September 20, 2015
New York Film Festival Begins
September 25, 2015
MTV Europe Music Awards
October 25, 2015
AFI Fest Begins
November 5, 2015
Oscars: Nine Films Competing for Best Foreign Language Film
Updated: Italy's "The Great Beauty," Hong Kong's "The Grandmaster" and Denmark's "The Hunt" are among the advancing films.
Nine features will advance to the next round of voting in the Foreign Language Film category for the 86th Academy Awards. Seventy-six films had originally been considered in the category.
The films, listed in alphabetical order by country, are:
- Belgium, The Broken Circle Breakdown, Felix van Groeningen, director
- Bosnia and Herzegovina, An Episode in the Life of an Iron Picker, Danis Tanovic, director
- Cambodia, The Missing Picture, Rithy Panh, director
- Denmark, The Hunt, Thomas Vinterberg, director
- Germany, Two Lives, Georg Maas, director
- Hong Kong, The Grandmaster, Wong Kar-wai, director
- Hungary, The Notebook, Janos Szasz, director
- Italy, The Great Beauty, Paolo Sorrentino, director
- Palestine, Omar, Hany Abu-Assad, director
Notable omissions from the shortlist include Asghar Farhadi's The Past, starring Berenice Bejo and Wadjda from Saudi Arabia. While Abdellatif Kechiche's lesbian drama Blue Is the Warmest Color won the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes Film Festival, it was not released in France by Sept. 30, the cut-off date for eligibility for this year's entries.
Nominees for the foreign film category are being determined through a two-step process. In the first phase, several hundred L.A.-based Academy members screen the original submissions and the group's top six choices -- augmented by three additional selections voted by the Academy's Foreign Language Film Award Executive Committee -- constitute the shortlist.
The shortlist will be cut down to five nominees by specially invited committees in New York and Los Angeles.
The 86th Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Thursday, January 16, 2014, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
The Academy Awards will be presented on Sunday, March 2, 2014, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood and televised live on ABC.