Oscars: Turkey Nominates 'The Butterfly's Dream' in Foreign Language Category
Director Yilmaz Erdogan's 1940s poetic love story is a local blockbuster with more than two million admissions in Turkey.
LONDON -- Romantic blockbuster The Butterfly's Dream has been nominated as Turkey's Oscar submission in the foreign language film category.
Yilmaz Erdogan's romance is set against the backdrop of wartime Turkey, when the neutral country struggled to maintain its economy and introduced labor conscription.
Two young poets in their 20s are among the men forced to work in a coal mine, but their lives are lightened when Suzan, the beautiful daughter of a wealthy businessman, appears.
They make a bet: Each will write a poem, and they will ask Suzan to read them. The one she likes better will win her. And in love, the winner takes all.
The $15 million-budget film has been a winner with Turkish audiences at home and in Europe, notching up 2.5 million admissions since its February release. Producer BKM Film is hoping it will be a hit with Academy Award selectors too.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!