Oscars: Most Tweeted Moments Include 'Argo' Win, Adele's Performance
The 85th Academy Awards on Sunday resulted in 8.9 million Tweets.
The Academy Awards sparked millions of conversations on Twitter on Sunday night.
There were 8.9 million tweets about the Oscars – 2.1 million during the red carpet and 6.8 million during the awards show.
There was plenty to chat about from the Oscars telecast, including Seth MacFarlane’s performance as host, Michelle Obama's surprise appearance, Jennifer Lawrence’s trip up the stairs and the musical performances.
The top Twitter topic, based on tweets per minute, was Argo’s win for best picture, which got 85,3000 tweets per minute (TPM). Director-producer Ben Affleck, producer George Clooney and producer Grant Heslov took the stage to accept the award after the first lady announced Argo as the winner.
The second-most-tweeted moment was when Adele performed Skyfall, the Oscar-winning theme song from the latest Bond film. It garnered 82,300 tweets per minute.
Lawrence’s win for best actress for her role in Silver Linings Playbook was the third-most-tweeted event, raking in 71,6000 TPM.
Adele made a second appearance on the top-tweeted moments list when she was announced as the winner for best song for Skyfall. The moment resulted in 64,000 TPM.
And rounding out the top five moments on Twitter was Anne Hathaway’s win for best supporting actress for Les Miserables. The moment sparked 60,400 TPM.
Other popular Twitter conversation topics from Sunday’s telecast included Daniel Day-Lewis’ acceptance speech for his win for best actor, Kristen Stewart and Daniel Radcliffe presenting the Oscar for achievement in production design and the Les Miserables song performance.
And according to analysis by Networked Insights, the two biggest spikes in Twitter conversation occurred when the first lady made a surprise appearance by satellite to present the best picture category and Mark Wahlberg’s announcement that there was a tie for best sound editing.
Sunday's tweet totals are a significant increase from 2012's show, which took in more than 2 million tweets during the telecast. The Oscars Twitter chatter also surpassed the amount of tweets at the most recent Golden Globes show and red carpet (3.6 million) but not the 2013 Grammys, which came in with 14 million tweets.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)