Ousted 'Top Gear' Host Jeremy Clarkson Vows to Return to TV
In a weekly newspaper column, he says he has lost his "baby" but plans to "create another" and discusses a cancer scare.
Less than a month after he was fired from the BBC's flagship auto show Top Gear following the now infamous "fracas" in which he punched a producer, Jeremy Clarkson has offered the first hints that he is planning a return to TV.
Writing in his column for The Sunday Times, part of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, the former host vowed he would make a comeback.
"I have lost my baby, but I shall create another," he said. "I don't know who the other parent will be or what the baby will be like, but I cannot sit around organizing my photograph albums — especially as most of the pictures I have are from a fabulous chapter that's now been closed."
Being sacked from the show he hosted for 12 years, he said, left a hole that "seems to stretch for [an] eternity."
But he claimed that the incident — after which the BBC did not renew his contract — that followed a string of controversies came during a particularly stressful time.
"Two days before the 'fracas,' I'd been told, sternly, by my doctor that the lump on my tongue was probably cancer and that I must get it checked out immediately," he said. "But I couldn't do that. We were in the middle of a Top Gear series. And Top Gear always came first." Clarkson later revealed that he had been given the all-clear following test results.
While the BBC has made no comment as to who might be taking over from Clarkson at the popular franchise and when an announcement might be made, the debate over Top Gear's future host is still a hot topic in the British press. Most recently, TV regular and the broadcaster's The Great British Bake Off host Sue Perkins topped a list of favorites, resulting in a torrent of online abuse from social media trolls. She eventually announced she was taking a break from Twitter.