OWN Ratings Up Over 2011 as Oprah Increases Her Screen Time
With steady showings for "Next Chapter" and primetime specials tied to the Oscars and Whitney Houston's death, February sees year-over-year growth for the young net.
It turns out Oprah Winfrey might be the biggest draw of the Oprah Winfrey Network.
Little more than a year after launching the cable network with Discovery, new programs and specials highlighting the founder and CEO have OWN making some headway in ratings.
February numbers show OWN growing 12 percent in primetime and 29 percent for the total day, compared to the same month last year.
Oprah's Next Chapter continues to average well for the network -- though not at the levels of its January interview with Joel Osteen, which it brought in a record 1.6 million viewers. The Feb. 19 episode, featuring a sit-down with motivational speaker Tony Robbins, brought in 514,000 viewers.
The month's biggest success, breaking into its top 10 all-time broadcasts, was the two-hour special that aired within a week of Whitney Houston's sudden death. Remembering Whitney: The Oprah Interview packaged Winfrey's last in-depth interview the late singer with Oprah's personal memories of the singer, filmed especially for the broadcast. The Feb. 16 broadcast brought in 830,000 viewers and offered solid showings in weekend encores.
OWN also capitalized on Winfrey's relationship with the Academy Awards, airing Oprah's Oscar Special on Feb. 15. Interviews with 2012 nominees Octavia Spencer, Viola Davis and Jonah Hill were viewed by 282,000.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game