Paley Center TV Awards Show Stalls
The potential Primetime Emmy rival struggles to find a broadcast home for 2012, as CEO Pat Mitchell continues to pursue partnerships.
This story appears in the Nov. 11 issue of The Hollywood Reporter.
Turns out it's not so easy to create a rival to the TV Academy's Primetime Emmys.
Despite the backing of such big-name executives as Sony TV's Steve Mosko and former Fox Networks CEO Tony Vinciquerra, THR has learned there will not be a Paley Center for Media TV awards show in 2012. Negotiations with several broadcast and cable networks did not produce an agreement in time to do a show in May, as the group announced it would in September 2010.
Paley CEO Pat Mitchell tells THR she still believes a Paley awards show is a good idea and is continuing to pursue an outlet for a future show, and she insists the "Paley Prize" was never an effort to take on the Emmys.
Separately, the Broadcast Television Journalists are searching for a TV partner after June's inaugural Critics' Choice TV Awards failed to lure viewers to ReelzChannel. The show's executive producer Joey Berlin says the organization next year might work with VH1, which streamed the show on its website.
Meanwhile, September's telecast of the Emmys, in the first year of a new eight-year deal with the four major networks, drew a decent 12.4 million viewers on Fox.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)