Panasonic sells world's first 3D TV system
Full 3D HD Plasma purchased at a Best Buy in Manhattan
The 3D TV race among consumer electronics manufacturers found an apparent winner as Panasonic Corp. said Wednesday it sold the world's first 3D home entertainment system at a Best Buy in Manhattan.
Panasonic's Full HD 3D Plasma home theater system is available exclusively at select Best Buy retailers via its in-store Magnolia Home Theater for $2,900.
The system consists of a 50-inch Panasonic Viera VT20 plasma 3D HDTV ($2,499.95), one pair of Panasonic 3D active shutter lens eyewear and the Panasonic BDT300 3D Blu-ray Disc player ($399.95).
Separate pairs of 3D eyewear retail for $149.95, and individual components within the system are also sold separately.
"The demand for 3D technology in the home is just beginning for consumers," said Michael Vitelli, president, Americas at Best Buy.
Coinciding with the launch, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment will bow "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" as its debut title in the Blu-ray 3D format.
"3D has invigorated the theater experience, and it will be the same for the living room," said Mary Daily, executive vp marketing at 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. "3D will become a game changer for the home entertainment industry."
The "Ice Age" franchise has grossed nearly $2 billion in worldwide boxoffice and sold more than 75 million units in home entertainment, according to Fox.
Panasonic March 15 will launch a 15-city, Panasonic Touch the Future nationwide tour in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, then visiting Philadelphia, Boston, Washington, Atlanta, Miami, San Francisco, Phoenix, Seattle, Detroit, Minneapolis, Dallas and Houston in March and April.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)