Adam Sandler, Brad Grey Help Honor Paramount's Rob Moore at Charity Event
Patton Oswalt emceed the fundraiser for the Fulfillment Fund charity, which enables low-income students to attend college.
The Fulfillment Fund has always been an L.A. charity with strong industry support, and on Wednesday night. it was Paramount’s turn to help raise funds for the mentoring program that assists low-income students to attend college.
“Everyone in life needs a mentor,” said Paramount Pictures chairman Brad Grey, who was seated with Sacha Baron Cohen at the Beverly Hilton. “This organization gives kids the help they need.”
Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore - who was honored along with Wells Fargo’s Tom Booker - said he agreed to be an honoree, because “neither of my parents graduated from college, but they were committed to sending me. The Fund gives poor students the opportunity my parents gave me.”
Said Fund founder Gary Gitnick: “Without a studio as a partner we’d never be able to do what we do. We came through the recession without having to drop a single student, and it was because our entertainment industry supporters reached deeper into their pockets.”
Patton Oswalt emceed the program that included performances by the Plain White T’s and Cirque du Soleil’s Erica Linz, who wowed the crowd that included J.J. Abrams, Sandy Climan, Frances Fischer, Arnon Milchan, Daryl Hannah and Lorenzo di Bonaventura.
When Oswalt came on stage after her performance, he joked that he felt like he was following “the perfection of the human body with this ham in a suit.”
In a video tribute to Moore, Cohen said the honoree “works tirelessly for non-profit causes, and I’m not just talking about Eddie Murphy movies.”
Adam Sandler also made the awards presentation, noting that Moore’s college education allowed him to learn words like “recoup and overage” that have been useful in his current job.
The total raised from the night, which included a live auction done by Tom Sherak, was over $2 million.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!