Paramount Vantage: Taking the temperature
2006 boxoffice: $46.0 million"An Inconvenient Truth" and "Babel" were the bookends on Paramount Vantage's inaugural year. Both have scored well at the boxoffice and already have been recognized by the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn. with Golden Globe noms. The Al Gore-led environmental documentary and the Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu ensemble drama are on track to earn Academy noms as well. In between, the new division helmed by longtime agent John Lesher, aided by former Lionsgate International exec Nick Meyer, who joined Vantage as co-president, kept busy by putting together a production slate featuring the talent of writer-directors Noah Baumbach, Paul Thomas Anderson and the Coens. Lesher also secured a two-year, first look deal with Will Ferrell and Adam McKay's Gary Sanchez Prods.
|Paramount Vantage releases||Date||Boxoffice|
|Neil Young: Heart of Gold||2/10||$1.8|
|An Incovenient Truth||5/24||23.8|
The boxoffice and market share for each distributor represents tickets sales from Jan. 3, 2006, through Jan. 1, 2007, inclusive. "Films tracked" represents the total number of films, including 2005 releases that generated ticket sales for each distributor. For 2005 releases, only boxoffice returns from 2006 are reported.
2006 BOXOFFICE WRAP
- Avast ye b.o. slide: '06 receipts gained back ground
- Booty call: The year's top films boosted boxoffice
- Studio wrap: Dividing the treasure
- Indie wrap: Coming out punching
- Focus Features/Rogue: Life after 'Brokeback'
- Fox Searchlight: Covering all the bases
- IDP/Goldwyn/Roadside: Maintaining the faith
- IFC: Developing a new take
- Lionsgate: Roaring atop the pack
- Magnolia: Testing day-and-date
- Miramax: Dealing itself a 'Queen'
- Paramount Vantage: Taking the temperature
- Picturehouse: Hailing Altman's finale
- Sony Classics: Pursuing the high road
- ThinkFilm: Following an eclectic path
- Warner Independent Pictures: Changing of the guard
- Weinstein/Dimension: Relying on genre pics
- Yari Film Group: Jumping into the fray
- Other independent distributors