'Paranoia' Stars Harrison Ford, Liam Hemsworth Lament Loss of Privacy for Actors (Video)
"One of the aspects of an actor's sensibility is that you're always watching other people. When they start watching you, suddenly, it's very distracting," says Ford.
In today's technology-saturated world, does privacy exist?
"I think we know it doesn't," says Harrison Ford. "We forget about it from time to time because we find it convenient to use these toys, the bells and whistles that tell on us all the time."
Ford and his Paranoia co-stars Liam Hemsworth and Amber Heard spoke to The Hollywood Reporter about the upcoming thriller, which explores the idea that privacy is a thing of the past with society so dependent on social media, cell phones and other tech devices that have us constantly plugged in.
It's an interesting topic to explore, especially for actors who are so often left without traditional private lives as they're constantly photographed by paparazzi and followed by video crews.
"I think one of the aspects of an actor's sensibility is that you're always watching other people," says Ford. "When they start watching you, suddenly, it's very distracting."
Hemsworth, who plays a young go-getter who is taken under Ford's mogul's wing at a technology company aiming to invent the next cell phone, has been especially vulnerable to paparazzi because of his relationship and engagement to Miley Cyrus.
"It puts a thought in your mind forever," he tells THR. "You could be somewhere completely secluded from the rest of the world and you still have that little thought in the back of your mind of 'Is there a photographer here somewhere?' "
The thriller, directed by Robert Luketic, is being distributed in the U.S. by Relativity. The script was written by Jason Dean Hall from a previous draft by Barry Levy and based on the novel Paranoia by Joseph Finder.
Hemsworth also spoke to THR about his own mentors, including his brothers Chris and Luke, who are both actors.
"They got into this industry before I did, and I wouldn't be doing this if they hadn't gotten into it," he says.
Paranoia opens Aug. 16.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!