'Paranormal Activity 3:' 5 Things to Know
Paramount's Paranormal Activity 3 opens Friday in theaters. Here are a few things to know about the horror film:
1. The prequel is expected to gross in the mid-$30 million range, which would put it behind the $40.7 million opening for Paranormal Activity 2 on the same weekend last year.
PHOTOS: Iconic Horror Movies
2. Paramount cites the overall downturn at the box office as the reason for projected lower opening, but says Paranormal 3 faces a distinct advantage in that there is no Saw installment to compete with this year. The Paranormal Activity franchise, produced by Jason Blum, Oren Peli and Steven Schneider, has been one of the most profitable film series in recent memory. The first Paranormal, which cost $15,000 to produce and opened in a limited run in September 2009, went on to gross $193.4 million worldwide.
3. Paranormal 2 cost $3 million to produce, and grossed $177.5 million worldwide. The threequel, with a production budget is pegged at $5 million, also opens this weekend in numerous foreign territories.
PHOTOS: Top 10 Sleeper Hits
4. Earlier this week, Paramount hosted sneak screenings of Paranormal 3 in 20 cities across the globe. More often than not, moviegoers ages 18-25 were the core demo, while females turned in force. Both Paranormal 3 and Three Musketeers go out in north of 3,000 theaters domestically.
5. According to Frank Scheck's The Hollywood Reporter review,"Although not exactly breaking any new ground with its by now all too familiar found-footage format, Paranormal Activity 3 hews to the formula in expertly crafted fashion, mustering up the requisite scares and then some. With no Saw sequel to provide competition this year, this should be the trick-or-treaters’ movie choice in October."