Participant PanAmerica Teaming with Gael Garcia Bernal on 'El Ardor'
The modern-day Western, starring Garcia Bernal opposite Alice Braga, has begun shooting in Argentina.
Participant Media is reteaming with No star Gael Garcia Bernal on El Ardor, the first film from their joint Participant PanAmerica initiative.
Billed as a modern-day Western, the action-adventure stars Garcia Bernal opposite Alice Braga. Writer-director Pablo Fendrik (Blood Appears, The Mugger) is shooting the film in Argentina.
The feature is described as a tale of survival and revenge set in in the Amazon jungle. Garcia Bernal plays a mysterious man who emerges from the Argentinean rainforest to rescue the kidnapped daughter (Braga) of a poor farmer after mercenaries murder her father and take over his property.
“After our terrific experience on No, we’re excited to be reuniting with Gael and [his] Canana for our first Participant PanAmerica film and to be expanding our footprint into this important segment of the global marketplace," Participant CEO Jim Berk said.
Ardor is being financed through Participant PanAmerica, with Argentina's Magma Cine, Brazil's Bananeira Filmes and France's Manny Films co-producing. BAC Films is handling international sales, excluding North America and Latin American, and will shop the project to foreign buyers at the upcoming Cannes Film Market (sales commenced at AFM in the fall).
Juan Pablo Gugliotta and Nathalia Videla Pena and Garcia Bernal serve as the film’s producers. Participant’s Jeff Skoll and Jonathan King are executive producing alongside Canana's Pablo Cruz and Telefe's Axel Kuschevatzky.
Launched earlier this year, Participant PanAmerica is an initiative to develop and finance 10 to 12 films over five years with Mexico’s Canana, Chile’s Fabula and Colombia’s Dynamo.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead