Paul McCartney: 'I've Been Hacked'
BEVERLY HILLS – Paul McCartney revealed that when he goes back to the U.K. after his current U.S. concert tour, he’ll be speaking to the authorities as part of the probe into the ongoing hacking scandal.
PHOTOS: News of the World's Top 10 Scandals
“I’m going to talk to the police because apparently I’ve been hacked,” he said.
McCartney was responding to a question about the phone hacking scandal during a session at the Television Critics Association press tour Wednesday at the Beverly Hilton. The former Beatle appeared via satellite from Cincinnati to promote the 9/11 documentary The Love We Make, that will air on Showtime Sept. 12. The question prompted Showtime entertainment president David Nevins to protest that he told McCartney that there would be no questions about “his personal life.”
STORY: Heather Mills Accuses Parent Company of Piers Morgan Paper of Hacking Her Phone
But McCartney nevertheless delivered a good-natured, if brief, response.
“I think it’s a horrendous violation of privacy,” he said. “I do think it’s been going on for a long time.”
McCartney and ex-wife Heather Mills were intensely targeted by the tabloids during their relationship, especially as it started to unravel. McCartney’s voicemails to Mills have fueled many stories in multiple papers. But McCartney confirmed that he has been contacted by the authorities in the wake of the widening scandal that has shuttered the 160-year-old News of the World and embroiled Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. in a Scotland Yard investigation.
STORY: Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. Faces More Lawsuits Amid Phone Hacking Scandal
McCartney added that he’d wait to hear what British authorities tell him before he comments further.
Mills said during a BBC interview Wednesday that a Trinity Mirror journalist told her in 2001 that her phone had been hacked and voicemail from McCartney had been intercepted.