Paul McCartney Named 2012 MusiCares Person of the Year
The beloved Beatle will be honored for his contributions to music and philanthropy at the pre-Grammy ceremony on February 10.
Paul McCartney will be honored as the 2012 Musicares Person of the Year, it was announced on Tuesday. The 14-time Grammy winner will be present at the 22nd annual benefit gala, being held in Los Angeles on Friday, February 10, two days prior to the Grammy Awards.
Musicares provides essential financial and medical support for musicians in time of need. McCartney is being recognized both for his contributions to music and his philanthropy. As in past years, the gala will feature a star-studded tribute concert and it’s hoped, though not confirmed, that the man himself will take the stage.
"I've been given a great gift -- a life making music -- and it's my privilege to try to make the world a better place by giving back,” said McCartney in a statement.
Added Neil Portnow, President/CEO of the MusiCares Foundation and The Recording Academy: "Paul McCartney exemplifies the phrase 'artist/philanthropist,' and his extraordinary career is certainly a testament to the multifaceted power of his creative genius. The unique talent, dedication, and spontaneity he brings to his projects and live performances are unsurpassed, but are equaled by the impressive generosity and commitment he consistently devotes to a range of important charitable causes."
Performances at the MusiCares Person of the Year gala will be preceded by a reception, silent auction and dinner. More information can be found at www.musicares.org.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!