Paul Shaffer Clarifies Remarks About Leaving 'Late Show' in Two Years
UPDATED: David Letterman's longtime sidekick and musical director says that his comments to TV Guide Canada weren't intended to mean that he is ready to leave the show, but the website says it stands behind its reporting.
UPDATE: TV Guide Canada tells The Hollywood Reporter that it stands behind its reporting.
Paul Shaffer isn't in such a hurry to leave Late Show With David Letterman after all.
David Letterman's longtime sidekick and musical director on Monday set out to clarify remarks he made to TV Guide Canada over the weekend implying just that. The website quoted him as saying he might be ready to call it a day when his contract expires in two years.
“We’ve been on 30 years so now we’ve got another two years. … I’m going to be certainly ready to lie down after that, take a nap,” he said.
But Shaffer on Monday said that wasn't how he intended his comment to come across.
“In an interview with a reporter, I made two unrelated points which, joined together, seem to say something that isn’t true," he told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement. "It’s true that the show was recently extended for two years, and yes, someday when it’s all over, I will most likely take a nap. But I hope that day never comes. As long as the show goes on, I will be there for as long as Dave wants me on it."
Shaffer has been with Letterman since the 1982 debut of Late Night With David Letterman on NBC, leading the World's Most Dangerous Band. In 1993, he made the move with Letterman to CBS for Late Show, where he leads the CBS Orchestra, after NBC passed Letterman over for the Tonight Show hosting job in favor of Jay Leno.
Shaffer earns a reported $5 million for his Late Show gig.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott