Former Jam Frontman Paul Weller Derides 'X Factor,' 'The Voice'
LONDON - Former Jam frontman Paul Weller has derided music TV talent shows, such as X Factor and The Voice, as "Saturday-night viewing for the masses."
In an interview with Radio Times magazine in the U.K., he also said: "Would I be a judge? Would I hell."
Asked about the Jam auditioning for Opportunity Knocks before the band became famous, Weller said: "Thank God we got turned down in the audition. It could all have been so different... But I’d be too embarrassed to be on those shows. You get some of these kids who think they’re a little bit "edgy," got a bit of a Pete Doherty haircut. You’re not edgy, really, mate. Otherwise you wouldn’t be on an effing talent show, would you?"
Asked if Simon Cowell deserves credit after X Factor U.K. alumni One Direction became the first British band to hit No. 1 in the U.S. with their debut album, Weller said he has never heard the band. "I do know what you're talking about. But I wouldn't give him anything, personally," he said.
Elton John previously called music talent shows "boring, paralyzing, brain crippling."
Weller has taken shots against X Factor before, calling it "very cheap programming and the lowest common denominator stuff." Cowell hit back on that occasion, promising to put Weller on one of his shows if he put out a good album.