Paula Deen Promises to Donate Part of Diabetes Endorsement Money
The celebrity chef, who specializes in southern-style cooking, experienced rampant backlash after announcing she was now a spokeswoman for type 2 diabetes.
Days after the announcement that she has had type 2 diabetes for three years and has now signed on as a spokesperson for the disease was met with negative reactions, celebrity chef Paula Deen made another announcement: she will will be donating a percentage of her earnings to the American Diabetes Association.
Deen, who is now the face of Novo Nordisk's new diabetes health initiative, made the statement during an appearance on ABC's The Chew Wednesday.
However, the ADA said it had yet to hear from Deen regarding her philanthropic intentions, USA Today reports.
The chef, whose recipes have been criticized for their high-calorie and fat content, has not disclosed the amount she (and her sons Bobby and Jamie) is being paid by Novo Nordisk, who also makes the injectable noninsulin Victoza, which she now takes.
Much has been made of Deen's announcement. Fellow chef Anthony Bourdain even reignited an earlier feud with the decadent cook, tweeting veiled a thinly-veiled judgement Tuesday, months after calling her the "most dangerous person to America."
"I've always said moderation," Deen defended herself on The Chew. "I don't eat every day the way that you see me cook on that show. It's 30 days out of my life. And it's for your entertainment," she said, before getting emotional.
Watch part of her appearance below
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'